Monday, August 11, 2014

Back to Nebraska

Monday, August 11

My retirement "job" is doing presentations to my fellow diabetics about how to do a better job managing their diabetes.  I've been managing my diabetes successfully since 1990 and it really isn't that big of deal - if you want to.  Diabetes is, in fact, my favorite chronic disease.  Why?  Because you can manage it yourself without a lot of intervention from your medical professionals.  Equipped with my glucose meter and my smart phone (and most recently my insulin pump) I've got everything I need to keep my blood sugar in my target range.

So, we (Mary got to go with me on this one) headed back to Nebraska, sans the RV, to do a program for the local hospital in Scottsbluff.  And what is Scottsbluff famous for?  This...

Scottsbluff National Monument

Hopefully you learned about the great westward migration when you were in school.  Scottsbluff was a major resting/re-provisioning stop over for Oregon Trail, Mormon Trail, and California Trail.  Most wagon trains left from Independence, MO and surrounding areas and headed to this area.  Approximately 625 miles by highway today, the original trails followed rivers - the Missouri and the Platte to reach the area.  If you were on this great adventure, you walked - about 15 miles a day, every day, for a couple of months.


You can learn much more about the whole westward migration at the visitor's center at memorial.
There are actually two bluffs which form a pass through the area.  This is to the left with Scottsbluff to the right.
The other major landmark to the migrants was Chimney Rock.  This formation is about 20 miles south and east of Scottsbluff and also signaled that they were close to their destination.


Chimney Rock Visitor Center

And back to Hermosa, SD after our visit.

2 comments:

  1. You fooled me by the title. I thought you had changed direction and actually headed back to Nebraska for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick overnight and stay in a hotel. We had to get back for our scheduled windshield repair the next day.

    ReplyDelete